Followers

Friday 16 July 2021

Multicam or MTP

 Now before I get shot down, I know there is a difference between British MTP and that from the US, and I believe there are other variations around the world, but for the sake of my sanity I would just like to call it Multicam.

On some Facebook pages that I follow, I have been asked my ‘recipe’ for Multicam by several members and I’ve been happy to PM this recipe but having started this blog I thought it could be a subject for an early post. I wish to state that this isn’t a painting ‘tutorial’ in the way that professional mini painters present their work- I’m not a professional and I don’t profess to know as much as these ladies and gentlemen, but it is purely a list of paints and the order in which I apply them. Furthermore, I’m not a military historian and this recipe is just my take on a number of Multicam painting techniques I have read and appreciated, a collection of stolen ideas (sorry!) from many others.

To replicate camouflage patterns for tabletop figures is very difficult as far as identifying them if it is too busy. I guess the way is to capture the essence of the pattern in a recognisable way. Others can judge whether my recipe does that, but something I believe helps is to avoid painting packs, gear, harness, plate carriers etc in Multicam as well but in a single colour. Although I believe there could be some variation in real life, this approach is probably considered not to be authentic. I see the point but this is my approach- what you do to make this technique more realistic will fit your own vision.

Again, gloves, boots and other paraphernalia can vary so I am not presenting my colours as definitive- those who know more than me will apply the appropriate colours. I don’t pretend to be an authority- just an enthusiast!

I am using a 28mm resin figure from White Dragon Miniatures and mostly Vallejo paints. I have tried to supply alternatives where I can but there are conversion charts to be found on the internet which can easily be found.

These colours may differ slightly from those I have previously supplied but in essence are very similar.

Over a grey primer I apply an overall coat of VMC 821 German Camo Beige WW2. Knee pads were painted in VMC 886 Green Grey, gloves in VMC 876 Brown Sand, and boots in Panzer Aces 340 Highlight Afrika Korps Tank Crew, and the inserts on this particular figure were done in VMC 921 English Uniform.


Next stage is a wash with Citadel’s Agrax Earthshade.


Repaint basic colours again leaving the wash in the deepest recesses, then just catch the top highlights with the base colour plus Off White or similar- perhaps Pale Sand.



Apply patches of AK Interactive AK 3024 Light Green. VMC 974 Green Sky is a close alternative.


Next, apply patches of AK3058 Intermediate Green but smaller. Some of these can ‘bleed’ from the lighter green. 


Now patches of VMC 825 German Camo Pale Brown.


Apply ‘wiggly’ lines, mostly horizontal, and spots and dots in VMC 820 Off White.

Do the same with AK3056, or VMC 822 German Camo Black Brown.


Other colours are in there in the real thing, a mid brown, possibly Golden Olive or similar, but the above is sufficient for me. There are other examples in the previous post.

I hope this will be helpful for those who would like something written down to reference, all supposing anybody finds this blog! As always, suggestions and ideas welcome- thanks for taking the time!

4 comments:

  1. like i already told you, you are the master of multicam. the tutorial is spot on! thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tutorial Ric, very helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Gripping Beast resin miniatures

 Having discovered my new found love for resin miniatures, a good friend recommended another company that sold resin figures for the modern ...